Leadership is essential today. In every sector of society, from families to businesses to churches, leadership is vital in helping people to flourish and become all that God has called them to be. When leaders and teams are working well together, it is a beautiful and awe-inspiring thing.
Leadership is also hard, and often lonely. Anyone who has led for any time at all has been confronted by the many complex challenges it involves. When leaders and teams aren’t working well, it can be quite painful and messy.
Who the course is for
This course exists to resource, support, and equip leaders. It will teach some of the key outward skills of leadership, and will focus on the internal qualities and practices which help leaders stay healthy and effective for the long haul. While leadership is intuitive for many, crucial leadership skills can be learned through intentional and actionable practices.
If you are a leader desiring to grow, this course will offer the following unique opportunities:
• Intentional time to reflect deeply on your own story and invest in your leadership practice.
• A safe space and supportive community within which to process your big questions and leadership experiences.
• Exposure to recent cutting edge material on healthy and effective leadership.
• A chance to upgrade and hone your skills and practices.
• Multiple exercises and inventories aimed at growing in self-awareness, personal security, courage and emotional intelligence.
• Practical training in understanding and leading from your deepest values.
• A proven framework for building trust and empowering great teams, including how to give and receive feedback well.
• Instruction in how to bounce back from failures and shame, and build personal resilience.
• A window of time to review your own spiritual life, habits and rhythms, with the goal of avoiding burnout and other common pitfalls and sustaining long-term success.
• A vision for effectiveness that leads to maximised impact and the potential to leave a legacy for future generations.
The course format will be 10 interactive monthly sessions, most of which will be live-streamed over the internet, plus a one to one coaching session. The sessions will be 7-9.30pm every 4th Thursday of the month, from 26 September 2019 through 23 July 2020 (excluding December).
Participants will complete set reading each week/month, participate in online discussion, and there will be key exercises and reflections to engage with each month as well. Each participant should be able to prioritise the monthly sessions, plus dedicate approximately 3-4 hours per week to assignments and reading. It is important that each participant is able to make this course a priority and fully commit to it.
We will draw primarily from three books (with many other resources suggested):
• Deep Mentoring by Randy Reese and Robert Loane
• Dare to Lead by Brené Brown
• Leadership Essentials by Greg Ogden
The course will cost £400 per person. If the cost is prohibitive for you there may be bursary assistance available so do get in touch.
This course will be limited to a selective small group, and is for people who are currently in leadership roles. If you are interested in being part of it, please email Daniel at email@example.com, explaining your current leadership context, and why this course would be helpful to you.
Dr Daniel McGinnis has led in many varied contexts: from small groups to larger student ministry, from cross-cultural mission trips to planting and leading a church, and from pioneering training courses to being Vice Principal of a theological college. He has experienced the ups and downs of leading all kinds of different people and teams. Along the way he has learned a lot, some very much the hard way, and he will be drawing on this experience along with many leadership experts to facilitate this course. His passion is to equip, inspire and empower healthy and courageous leaders.
One of the best choices you could ever make is to invest in your own leadership. If you want to take the time to grow and develop as a leader, this course is for you!